Thursday, March 27, 2025

Parent Teacher Conferences 2025

Yesterday, the Oak class conducted child-led parent-teacher conferences. These conferences resemble traditional formats, where progress reports are presented, work samples and children's portfolios are examined, discussions on kindergarten readiness skills take place, and parents are given the chance to ask questions. However, the unique aspect is that the pre-kindergarten students take the lead. Mrs. Mahern played a supportive role, facilitating discussions and assisting the children throughout the conference. In preparation for this event, the children spent the last few weeks compiling a collection of work samples to present to their parents. They also met individually with Mrs. Mahern to discuss their goals, strengths, areas for improvement, and to reflect on their experiences over the year. The class held a group meeting to establish expectations for the conferences, emphasizing the importance of good manners, seriousness, focus, and expressing gratitude to parents for their attendance.

Encouraging children to take an active role in these conferences empowers them from an early age to take ownership of their learning, advocate for themselves, enhance their communication skills, and strengthen the connection between home and school. As a school inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach, child-led parent conferences align perfectly with our philosophy regarding the roles of children and families in education. We regard children as capable individuals and parents as essential partners and collaborators in their child's educational journey.

Today, the children shared their thoughts and reflections on the conferences.

“It was good. I like it because my mom and dad came. I liked telling them that I am a good listener.” - Lily

“I liked the part when we talked about Kindergarten. I liked the questions. I have to work on my letters. Mommy and Daddy said my work is incredible.” - Solly

“My conference was amazing. My parents were so proud of me.” - Talia

“I think it (parent conferences) are important, so my parents know how I do at school.” - Talia

“I think it was good because I was with my mom. She liked the pictures of me.” - Sophie

“I think conferences are important so my mom can see my good art and ask if I am ready for Kindergarten.” - Sophie

“I liked the talking about the Kindergarten questions. I think my parents liked seeing that I am ready for Kindergarten.” - Maeve

“Parent meetings are important because it makes moms feel good.” - Maeve

“I thought it (conference) was going to be hard because I never did it before. It wasn’t hard. It was fun!” - Maeve

“Parents can look at all of our work, so they can see what we learned.” - Wells

“My mom liked my pictures. My dad liked the numbers. They like the meeting. They felt like they loved me.” - Wells

“I liked when I showed Mama the pictures of my head and my body. Mama feels so happy and proud of me. My mom felt great because she asked me where the water fountain was and I know where it is.” - Louie

“I liked when I was crazy doing the animal sounds. I was serious after you (Mrs. Mahern) hugged me. It helped me calm down. Then, I was calm to answer the questions. I was super duper happy because I got to be in the class by myself.” - Elkie

“The conference went good. I liked teaching my mommy about stuff with you (Mrs. Mahern). We were telling her how  good I am doing at stuff here. Mommy felt good because she loved my work. I was happy because I got to take home my numbers work.” - Ethan



















































Indiana Learning Standards
ELA1.2: Demonstrate expressive communication
SE1.1: Demonstrate self awareness and confidence
SE4.1: Demonstrate relationship skills

No comments:

Post a Comment